Pilates Exercise of the Month: The Scissors
Lie down on mat and bring your legs up to a 90 degree angle, toes pointed. Arms long by sides, palms down.
- Inhale; prepare the body and scoop abdominals inward. Exhale; continue to lift your legs up to ceiling (toes to ceiling). Inhale; bring the hands underneath the hips with finger tips pointed outward and the wrists supporting the back and hips.
- Exhale; scissor the legs; one leg moves over the head as the other leg moves toward the mat in the opposite direction. Switch legs and continue to scissor. Keep the hips and pelvis still as you move legs; pulsing slightly.
- Inhale; bring the legs back up over the hips (toes reach to ceiling). Exhale; allow your back to roll down to the mat, slowly and carefully, one vertebra at a time.
- Complete 3-5 sets
Head to Toe Checklist:
- Do not roll onto the neck
- Keep the elbows parallel to each other (or as close as possible) & cradle the pelvis with the hands
- Keep torso rock solid as you scissor
- Breath fully and deeply to facilitate the scissor motion
Imagine the legs opening wide like a handheld fan, then closing and opening to the other side.