You may be seeing a lot of swimmers in the pool with a snorkel lately. The benefits are tremendous! Everyone should be training with one.
Benefits of training with a snorkel:
- Allows the swimmer the ability to focus solely on stroke technique
- Eliminates interruptions of turning head to breathe
- Increases V02 max
- Increase arm turnover
- Swimmer is able to relax in the water not having to worry about “getting air” or gulping water.
- Helps swimmer aim for perfect technique while remaining horizontal (Allowing for great body balance, head position, rotation, hand entry, catch, etc.).
- Sometimes a nose clip is needed when beginning with a snorkel to prevent water from entering the nose
- Eliminates having to worry about getting oxygen
- Able to practice repeated movements correctly over and over, leading to a properly learned and executed stroke
For more information, or if you have questions about swimming or multisport training, please contact Teresa Nelson
Swimming, Triathlon & Multisport
club, coaching, gym, health, indoor pool, Ironman Canada, Mark Webb, Seattle, swim, swimming, Teresa Nelson, TN Multisport, Training, triathlon
1. Low Impact
- Stress on joints is decreased by 90% in water
- Even when your feet touch bottom there is les force on the body because of buoyancy
- Great for rehab, arthritis, pregnancy, overweight, seniors….EVERYONE
- Your body weight is 1/10 of what it would be on land.
- It is the most injury-free sport there is
2. Builds Respiratory Fitness
- A 12 week study showed an increase in oxygen consumption by 10% and an increase in stroke volume (the amount of blood pumped to the heart) increased by as much as 18%
3. Builds Muscle Mass
- Muscle mass in the triceps increased by 23.8% in a 10 week study
- All muscle groups are used
4. Alternative when injured
- Maintains fitness levels
- Aqua jogging
- Because of the resistance, which is 12 times great than in air, of the water it makes the muscles works with out strain or impact like that on land
5. Calorie Burner
- Swimming burns anywhere from 500-650 kcals per hour
- In comparison to running it burns 11% fewer kcals and in comparison to cycling 3% fewer
- However, this does not account for efficiency and for intensity….so the less efficient you are the more calories you burn
- Be aware that heart rate decreased 10 beats per minute e in water and max heart rate decreased by 10-30 beats….it is believed this is due to the lower water temperature and the lesser pull of gravity in water.
6. Increases Lung Capacity
- The need to hold your breath while swimming trains your lung capacity
- This increases stamina and change heart rates
- Great for asthma
7. Increases Flexibility
- Increases mobility
- The body is able to do stretches more easily than on land
8. Family Affair
- The entire family can do it!
- Everyone enjoys a day in the water…by the pool at the beach
- It encourages health and fitness for the entire family
9. It is a lifetime Activity
- Due to its low impact it can be done through all stages of life.
- USMS- masters swimming…has age groups of 100-104!
10. It’s Relaxing
- Water is soothing psychologically
- There is a meditative quality about being able to just swim…float on your back
- There is no noise and distraction of life on land
11. Improves Posture
- Swimming strengthens your stabilizing muscles and works rotationally…therefore, strengthening your core and postural muscles
12. Lifesaving Skill
- Swimming is a necessary life skill that everyone should possess
- Open water, pool swimming, etc…
13. “YOU ARE A SWIMMER”
- the fact that you can call yourself a swimmer is a reward in itself!
Swimming, Triathlon & Multisport
coaching, health, indoor, lessons, multisport, pool, Seattle, swimming, TN Multisport, Training