PURPOSE: This exercise works your inner/outer thighs and stretches the back of the hip.
1. Lie on your right side with your left foot crossed in front of your right leg. Try to keep the left foot flat on the floor; knee cap facing the ceiling.
2. Rest your head on your arm. Press the palm of the other arm down into the mat in front of you; elbow towards ceiling.
3. Extend your straight (right) leg long out from your hip and raise it off the floor. Turn your heel slightly toward the ceiling.
4. Lift and lower your straight (right) leg 5-10 times without letting it touch the mat.
5. Then hold the leg in the lifted position pulsing it for 10 small pulses. You can also try 5 small circles forward and back staying lifted.
6. Repeat other side.
- If it is too uncomfortable to keep the leg crossed over the straight leg, rest your knee on the mat in front of you.
Head to Toe Checklist:
- Maintain a long steady upper body.
- Don’t bend your outstretched leg as you lift/lower and/or pulse.
- Keep the quadriceps relaxed, not gripped.