May 11th, 5:30 – 7pm
Spring & Summer are around the corner and we know you’re excited to get outside and adventure! Did you know we’ve developed amazing programs/classes to offer you experiences of a lifetime?
Visit our Outdoor Recreation Fair to learn more about SAC club programs going on this Spring/Summer. Meet the instructors and vendors leading the events, learn more about the skill or adventure you know you’ve always wanted to try and meet other like-minded members with the same interests!
Backpacking, mountaineering, guided day tours, rock climbing, hiking, paddle boarding, running races, mountain biking, triathlon to name a few! Sign up for a class or clinic, enjoy a beverage, enter the free raffle & giveaways!
Here are a list of vendors who will be participating:
- Vertical World
- Vello Bike Shop
- Kaf Adventures
- Evergreen Escapes
- VeloFix Bike Repair/Tune Ups
For further Outdoor Recreation information please contact Wellness Director: Kendra Kainz (firstname.lastname@example.org).
May News & Events, Social Activities
Health Talk Topic: “ Healthy Living to 100! ”
How to Eat, Move, and Think Well
Tuesday, May 24th | 6:00pm in the front lobby
Presented by: Dr. Traci Grandfield DC
Please contact Kendra Kainz at email@example.com or sign up at the front desk to reserve a seat. Reservations are first come first serve.
Most of us might be afraid to live to 100 years old because of the fear of a decreased quality of life or living with aches and pains. But if we could feel good and still do the things we love to do like playing with our grandchildren, then I’m sure most of us would want to stick around. What we don’t realize is that arthritis is not inevitable. It can be avoided if we make the right choices now. We have the ability to age well despite our genetics. Healthy lifestyle choices are key to not only live well now but in our later years too. This class will pin point the major culprits contributing to bad health and illuminate the tiny tweaks you can make now to make huge changes to your elder years.
Bio of Dr. Grandfield: Dr. Grandfield offers gentle and unique Chiropractic care with a focus on correcting the cause rather than the symptom. Dr. Grandfield utilizes NUCCA, a specialized adjusting technique, to correct misalignments. This focused adjustment is very light and effective to restore normal body balance and function. No cracking, popping or twisting kind of adjustments. With precision and specificity, NUCCA adjustments last longer which results in fewer visits to correct the problem.
Health News, Lifestyle, May News & Events
balance, Chropractic, function, misalignments
Memorial Day – Monday, May 30th, 2016
Club Hours: 7:00am – 8:00pm
- Café Hours: 8:00am – 7:00pm
- BODYPUMP with Katie – 9:00am
- Hatha with Tonja – 10:30am
- Cycle with Kendra – 12:00pm
* Normal Parking Validation Hours.
May News & Events
Purpose: The fourth exercise in the Stomach Series targets the powerhouse to the extreme.
1. Lie on your back with hands behind your lifted head; one on top of the other, (not interlaced); elbows wide.
2. Extend your legs straight to the ceiling, heels together and toes turned out slightly, squeeze inner thighs, sink navel toward spine.
3. Inhale and lower your straight legs down toward the mat for 3 counts. Stop if you feel your lower back begin to arch.
4. Exhale as you raise your straight legs toward the ceiling. Don’t allow the legs to pass 90 degrees; the tailbone does not leave the mat. Complete 8-10 times. To end bring both knees into chest.
- Remain perfectly still in your torso.
- Engage the glutes and inner thighs to support and protect your back.
- If your back arches off the mat as you lower your legs, you are taking them too low. Bring shoulders away from ears.
Note: If you have a delicate back, place your hands in a V position just below your tailbone (palms down) and leave your head down.
Visualization: Imagine your legs are attached to springs above your head. You must stretch the springs on the way down and resist their pull on the way up.
May News & Events, Pilates Ex of Month
Washington Day Adventures
The Seattle Athletic Club has partnered with Evergreen Escapes (aka “Escape Artists”), a destination management company specializing in expert guided small group and private tours that highlight the best of the Pacific Northwest. Group tours are limited to 10 guests to allow for more engagement with your guide and surroundings.
- Every Mon/Wed/Thur/Sat | 8:00am – 6:30pm ~ $225.00
- Alpine meadows, old-growth forests, splendid lakes, and shimmering waterfalls surround the iconic glacial peaks of Mt. Rainer. Walk or snowshoe through thepark while learning about its delicate ecosystems and extensive history. Parkfees, transportation, and seasonal lunch included!
- Every Wed/Fri/Sun | 7:30am – 7:00pm ~ $225.00
- A unique blend of mossy forests, rugged coastline, and misty mountains, the OlympicPeninsula is a nature lover’s dream. Get an overview of the area’s variety by ferry, foot,and van, learning about forest ecology and mountain geology along the way.Park fees, transportation, and seasonal lunch included!
- Every Fri/Sat | 12:30pm – 6:00pm ~ $125.00
- Just outside of Seattlelies Woodinville wine country, boasting nearly 100 wineries and tastingrooms. Visit three boutique wineries to taste a range of varietals and learn about winemaking and tasting. A taste of local meats and cheeses and transportation included!
- Mt St. Helens National Monument
- May-Sept Mon/Thur/Sat | 7:30am – 7:30pm ~ $225.00
- Take a haunting but a beautiful journey into the heart of Mt. St. Helens NationalMonument. Witness how the ecosystem is recovering and the journey justmiles from the crater, while learning about the fateful events of the1980 eruption. Transportation and seasonal lunch included!
Voted by National Geographic as one of the 50 Tours of a Lifetime in 2015
Seattle Athletic Club members receive 15% off day tours! Book your tour now!
Visit www.evergreenescapes.com to register. Use promo code: SeattleAthleticClub
Washington Private Tours
The Seattle Athletic Club has partnered with Evergreen Escapes (aka “Escape Artists”), a destination management company specializing in expert guided small group and private tours that highlight the best of the Pacific Northwest. Interested in having a private or family personalized experience? Private escapes are customized to your interests, pace, and activity level and led by expert guides attuned to your needs throughout the day.
You can also choose from some of our most popular private tour options:
- Explore Seattle Half Day Tour
- See more of Seattle – going beyond the major attractions to experience the city’s vibrant neighborhoods and breathtaking parks. Delve into history, local culture and urban ecosystems as you take in Seattle’s best views and most unique sights. Add on an Urban Wine Tour for more fun!
- San Juan Islands Full-Day Tour
- The San Juan archipelago harbors near-mythical beauty amid its undeveloped islands and seascapes. Spend the day on San Juan Island, exploring local marine and bird wildlife with a naturalist guide. Embark on a 3-hour whale watching search by kayak, passing wildlife refuges and rugged coastline along the way.
- North Cascades Full-Day Tour
- North Cascades National Park is nicknamed the “American Alps” for a reason. Hike with an expert naturalist through the park’s rugged terrain and remote solitude. Experience alpine meadows, rocky ridges and an endless sea of jagged peaks veneered by blue glaciers. Keep your eyes peeled along the way for black bears, mountain goats, and bald eagles.
- Seattle Craft Brewery Tour
- Taste Seattle’s best beers on a tour of the city’s renowned breweries. Leave the driving to our expert guides as you sample hop-heavy IPA’s, funky sours, crisp pilsners and rich stouts. Lean about Seattle’s brewing history and get an insider’s look at the beer-making process. Add a Brew master’s Dinner of family-style food and beer pairings, perfect for group events.
Voted by National Geographic as one of the 50 Tours of a Lifetime in 2015.
Seattle Athletic Club members receive 5% off private tours! Visit www.evergreenescapes.com or call 1-866-203-7603 to book a tour!
For more information, please contact Wellness Director: Kendra Kainz at firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 206-443-1111 x 295.
April News & Events, August News & Events, July News & Events, June News & Events, May News & Events, October News & Events, September News & Events
Evergreen Escapes, Mt Rainier National Park, Mt St. Helens, National Geographic, Olympic National Park, Woodinville Wine Trail
By Evergreen Escapes founder and owner Jake Haupert, a firm believer in Joseph Campbell’s philosophy on The Hero’s Journey. Here Jake shares the relevance of transformation through the art of intentional travel.
I remember the day when I first heard my own calling, my mind had been swirling, my soul entangled with some of life’s biggest questions. What was I meant to do, where was I meant to be, and what fulfills and inspires me? I sought out a nearby bluff overlooking the ocean in Solano Beach, California. At twilight that evening, I had my light bulb moment, I had identified my life purpose: leveraging the power of travel to cultivate personal growth, inspire conservation and bring humanity closer together. Listening to my own internal compass, I returned home, to the beautiful Pacific NW, targeting the mecca for adventure travel – Seattle, Washington. I lived out of my Cherokee for a month, passionate canvasser for Green Peace by day, dedicated student in travel school by night. I was on a mission, I was going to start my own adventure travel company and I was going to make a difference. By combining my love for travel, natural curiosity, appreciation for authentic human interaction, reverence for the planet, and an unquenchable entrepreneurial spirit – I charted a course, set my sails, followed the stars, and caught the wind.
Eight years later and I still never feel more alive than when I travel. Every single time, my journeys take my breath away, center me and invite me deeper and deeper into myself, my purpose, and my values. Whether it be the natural acoustics of a rainforest, the thrill of a wildlife encounter or the open arms of new people and cultures, I listen to my inner voice, follow the call and surrender to its magic. It’s like my consciousness is amplified and the answers to my struggles are illuminated. There is an interconnectivity that exists when we are open to it, and I find that travel acts as a conduit for internal change and personal growth. Interestingly enough, I am now realizing that the experience of place and inter-connectivity that happens on safari, in the outback, in the mountains, and at sea, can also happen in my own community, back home. I no longer feel it’s necessary to be in a faraway place or a culturally different “destination.” It’s more the lens we are peering through, the awareness we bring to being where we are in the moment, whether at our local park or tracking black-rhino in Namibia. When the call of adventure beckons, I reach out, touch it, drink it in, immerse with purpose and take those moments of awakening back home and integrate them into my life. These experiences, the stillness, the contemplative state it invokes, inspires me to be a better friend, a better partner, a better dad, and a better global citizen. I’ve dedicated my life to the transformative power of travel and want to share those experiences with you. We want to be a catalyst in your personal journey, invite you to be authentic, challenge who you are, explore where you are going, and chart a course to find what you are looking for.
So, what is transformational travel?
At Evergreen Escapes, we believe that adventure travel is transformative by nature. It challenges your perceptions and abilities, removes you from your comfort zone, and pushes you to reach a higher self. Transformational travel is an embrace of this ethos. It’s about accepting the call of adventure, traveling with intention, and allowing the unknown to drive personal or professional growth.
Who is it for?
Transformational travel is for anyone looking to connect with themselves by experiencing the world. We understand that many of us travel when we are seeking something new in our lives, wondering what comes next, or celebrating a recent life accomplishment. Transformational travel is an opportunity to not only celebrate or break from these life milestones but to pause and reflect on their impact on our lives. If you are open to traveling with a purpose, engaging with your authentic self, and inspiring change through your experiences, transformational travel may be a good fit for you!
Why is transformative travel important to Evergreen Escapes?
We believe transformational travel provides enriching explorations that nourish your soul and restore your sense of self. Our hope is that you can in turn use that renewed self and purpose to benefit the planet we inhabit, the community you live in, and the places you visit in the future.
How does Evergreen Escapes inspire transformational travel?
We always start by asking a simple question – why? Why do you want to travel, why did you seek us out, and why might you be looking for change? Answering this question allows us to develop a pre-trip manifesto of your goals and outcomes, and to match you with a trip that fits your intentions.
Once we’ve discussed your goals and outcomes you can choose from two types of transformational travel – facilitated small group tours or personalized
1. Facilitated Small Group Adventures
We believe that the best way to achieve personal transformation is in a professionally facilitated small group setting. That’s why we work with the expert facilitators at Muddy Shoe Adventures to offer transformational small group tours. These small group tours use facilitated group discussions, guided reflections, and adventure activities to help you uncover both the destination and yourself.
After your trip, we’ll help you create a plan to put your inspiration into action. We know that as you return to your everyday life it’s easy to discard your intentions and lapse into past routines. By proactively planning a reintegration strategy, we’ll help you stay accountable to yourself and remain focused on your goals.
2. Personalized Private Journeys
If you prefer to embark on your own, we will help you embrace your call of adventure with a personalized private journey. Whether it’s climbing to the snowy peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro, journeying deep into the Amazon jungle or visiting a remote Himba village in Namibia – we’ll help curate experiences designed to send you into the unknown and challenge your perspectives. By crafting your pre-trip manifesto and designing an itinerary designed to expose you to transformative moments, we hope we can set you on an introspective path to personal transformation.
May News & Events
Evergreen Escapes Founder
May 3rd | 7:00am-9:00am
Start your day off right with the most important meal of the day! We’ll provide a continental breakfast while you get to know some fellow members and staff. This is a great way to get connected and meet some new people that have similar interests!
May News & Events
MAY 5th-7th | Entry Deadline: April 28th
- Start Times:Start times will be available on Monday, May 2nd online or in the Squash Department.
- Rules: Best of 5 games to 11. Losers referee next match.
- Hospitality: Light food and refreshments will be served Friday evening.
- Entry Fee: $40 plus + tax per player.
For more information, please contact our Squash Pro’s Zarak Khan at email@example.com or 206-443-1111 ext. 275 Manuela Manetta at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-443-1111 ext 274.
April News & Events, May News & Events, Squash
If you will need bodywork while outside the Seattle area, the best way to find a recommendation is to ask your current LMP. Massage practitioners study and go to conferences all over the country and they might be able to give you a name.
If your LMP has no referral, head to the America Massage Therapist Association website https://www.amtamassage.org/
In the gray area of the upper left hand corner click “find a massage therapist.”
The AMTA is the massage industry’s professional association. They require a minimum number of hours of education, continuing education, and adherence to a code of ethics to be a member. Their standards help ensure you are getting a high-quality LMP.
There is also the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork: http://www.ncbtmb.org At their site on the lower left, go to “find a” then click “Therapist”. They have requirements as well.
Finally, try looking up full-service athletic clubs, like ours. They often work with professional and amateur athletes just like we do, and they may have a high-quality LMP in their club.
Massage, May News & Events
American Massage Therapist, LMP
Fitness Through Climbing for 55+
A Taste of Climbing – Intro Class
- Renew your fitness and try something different! No experience necessary!
- Seattle: May 5 & 19 |12:00pm-2:00pm
- $20/session or $75 for all 4 classes
Learn to Climb – 3 Class series
- A friendly, instructional series that will teach the basics of climbing
- Seattle: May 31, June 7 & 14 or Redmond: June 2, 9 & 16
- $95 or $85 for all ‘Taste of Climbing’ participants
The Seattle Athletic Club has partnered with Vertical World to offer Over the Mountain, a new program specifically for folks 55 and older with little or no experience with climbing. Rock climbing is a great way to exercise the entire body and improve mental focus while having fun, achieving personal goals, and overcoming challenges.
Participants will be taught basic beginning technique by a patient, experienced instructor. This instructor will go at a reasonable pace to make sure everyone is grasping the concepts and getting a chance to practice them, starting with easy climbs made with beginners in mind.
You will have the chance to socialize with like-minded peers who are all trying something new and exciting together, at a time during the day when there are fewer distractions & no other organized events in the gym.
Please visit: http://seattle.verticalworld.com/ or call Vertical World to register.
Seattle location: 206-283-4497 | Redmond location: 425-881-8826
For more information, please contact Wellness Director: Kendra Kainz at email@example.com or call: 206-443-1111 x295
June News & Events, May News & Events
55+, climbing, Vertical World