Pilates Exercise of the Month: Teaser 1
Purpose: Humorously referred to as “the mother of all sit-ups”, the Teaser tests your powerhouse control to the fullest. At the peak of the exercise, momentarily hold the position, “teasing” the balance.
- Lie on back; legs extended out on a mat; arms overhead. Heels together; toes turned out slightly.
- Maintain the scoop; inhale; raise arms, head and shoulders, peeling upper body off the mat vertebra by vertebra; simultaneously lifting legs into a “V” sit.
- Hold the “V” position, balance on the tailbone. Exhale; roll spine down onto a mat.
- When head & heels touch the mat, stretch arms overhead to the starting position & repeat; inhaling as you float up; exhaling as you peel down.
Visualization: As you roll down, imagine each vertebra touching the mat the way your fingers travel on the keys of a piano.
- Head stays in line with spine. Fingertips toward toes. Legs stretched long.
- Don’t allow the upper body to touch mat before lower body or vice versa.
- Take your time, relax your mind and find your rhythm as you go.
Modification: Any difficulty sitting up all the way, slightly bend the knees, as you lift & lower body. Any back discomfort, perform Teaser with legs against a wall.