Pilates Exercise of the Month: HIP CIRCLES
Purpose: Hip Circles focus on the abdominal muscles; strethes the front of the shoulders, across the chest, and down the arms.
Starting Position: Sit in a V position with the arms extended behind the body, hands resting on floor; fingers face away from body. The legs are together, about an 60 degree angle from the floor.
- Inhale; move your legs down and around to the right.
- Exhale, complete the circle, bringing the legs to the left and back up to the starting V position.
- Complete 3-5 sets.
Visualization: Imagine your hands are stuck in cement and you are unable to move your torso except to keep it lifting to the ceiling.
Head to Toe Checklist:
- Begin small, increasing circles as you gain strength.
- Circling the legs too low will compromise your abdominals.
- Don’t let the upper body collapse.
- Press the shoulders down and away from your ears.
Prop yourself up on your elbows if maintaining straight arms is to difficult.