Kids and Weight Training at the Club
Summer break is here and your kids want to come to the Seattle Athletic Club Downtown (SAC) with you while you workout. It’s great that they want to come in and be healthy with you but you may be wishing you could have your workout time all to yourself. No worries, all of the SAC training staff are certified and experienced training children. Get your child some training sessions so that they know what they can and can’t do, what is safe to do, and what will help them excel in their sport. If your kids want to learn from you, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- The more basic the better. Stick to machines that are almost totally fool proof, do body weight exercises, and basic cardio machines (make sure your child “fits” the machine).
- Keep the weights light. Make sure your child is comfortable with the weight, is not being overly stressed by the weight, and can keep the technique and form throughout the movement.
- Respecting rules. Make sure your kids know that this is a place for more serious fun. Walking through common spaces, cleaning machines after use, and keeping voices to a reasonable level.
- Staying within your own abilities. If your child has never run on a treadmill they should probably stay away from doing so until they have walked on it and gotten comfortable with the machine. This applies to any equipment or exercise they have never done. Supervise your child until you feel that they have a good level of knowledge for exercise.
- Respecting the Age rules in the weight room. If your child is under 13 years old they MUST be Okayed by a trainer to be in the free weight room. Please be respectful of this rule, it is easy and cost free for you to sign your child up for a 30-40 minute weight room evaluation with a trainer. The goal of the SAC staff is to provide you and your family with a safe and fun workout atmosphere.
- Questions… just ask! If you or your child needs assistance or has a question please feel free to ask any of the SAC Trainers. We are more than happy to assist you with anything you may need.
Have fun! Encourage your kids to come in and implant the healthy lifestyle early. If they are part of a sports team this could be the way they move up the ladder. Edging out competition with strength, endurance, speed, and power is one of the best and easiest ways to improve your game! Bring them in, let them find and achieve some new goals this summer!